Tuesday November 24th
Last Minute July 4 Safety Tips for Pet Owners
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATE: July 3, 2012
CONTACT: Jennifer Reichelt, 455-8417
Deputy City Manager
LAST MINUTE PET SAFETY
REMINDERS FOR JULY 4TH
GREAT FALLS, Montana – The Great Falls Animal Shelter (GFAS) would like to remind pet owners that the Fourth of July can be a stressful time for our dogs and cats. According to the Humane Society, the day after July 4 is one of the busiest days of the year at many shelters across the country as dogs run away in fear from the loud noises of fireworks displays.
The GFAS would like to offer some helpful tips to pet owners to help ensure everyone has a safe and stress free holiday.
• Never use fireworks around pets!
• Ensure your pet has proper identification.
• Contact your local veterinarian as soon as possible to learn ways to help lower your pet’s anxiety level.
• Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent product onto your pet that is indicated for use on animals.
• Never leave alcoholic drinks where pets can reach them.
• Always keep matches and lighter fluid away from pets.
• Do not put glow jewelry on your pets, or allow them to play with it.
• Keep citronella candles, insect coils and oil products away from pets.
• Do not take your pet to crowded areas; loud, crowded fireworks displays are not fun for pets.
• Keep pets indoors in a safe, comfortable and quiet area.
• Do not leave pets outside alone as loud noises may cause them to panic and try to escape.
For more information about pet safety during the Fourth of July holiday please contact the Great Falls Animal Shelter at 454-2276.