Thursday September 18th
The Fire Department receives numerous questions regarding the use of backyard fireplaces/firepits in the City limits. The fireplaces may be found at local hardware stores and are typically constructed of metal or ceramic material. The Fire Marshal has allowed the use of these fireplaces under the following circumstances:
• Follow the manufacturer's instructions.
• Fire shall be attended at all times.
• Must have an extinguishing source within 10 feet.
• Must be a commercial type backyard or outdoor fireplace with a spark arrestor in place.
• Gas fireplaces are allowed as long as the shutoff is remote from the unit.
• Fireplaces shall not be located within 15 feet of combustible walls, roofs or other combustible materials, building openings or property lines.
• Only the use firewood or charcoal is permitted. No burning of rubbish, dimensional lumber (2x4's), yard debris or vegetation.
• No homemade fireplaces are allowed.
• Notify your insurance company of your intent to use a backyard or outdoor fireplace.
• The use will be discontinued immediately if it creates a nuisance or is offensive to the surrounding property owners or it is determined to constitute a hazardous condition.