Political Signs and Campaign FAQ

City of Great Falls Montana

1. Do I need a permit to place a political sign?

Political signs do not require a City sign permit.  However, signage must be in compliance with City code in all other respects.

2. Are there limits on the size and height?

Political signs may be no larger than sixteen (16) square feet in area and four (4) feet in height.

3. When can I put up signs and when do I have to take them down? 

Signs may be placed no earlier than 60 days prior to any election.  Signs must be removed within seven (7) days after an election.

4. Where can I place political signs?

Signage may be placed on private property with the owners’ permission.  The sign must be placed a minimum 12’-0” away from the curb and out of the 45’-0” clear vision triangle at intersections.  Signage is not allowed on public property in City boulevards, on boulevard trees, utility poles, street lights or signs, traffic poles and other public property.

5. What about placement of political signs on Montana State controlled roadways, such as 10th Avenue South, 1st and 2nd Avenues North, 3rd Street NW, Central Avenue West, 6th Street SW, NW Bypass, Smelter Avenue NE, 57th Street, 14th and 15th Streets, River Drive, etc.?

In addition to City of Great Falls regulations, additional rules apply for State maintained roadways.  For information on State rules, please refer to the Montana Outdoor Advertising webpage, found here: http://www.mdt.mt.gov/business/oac/.  Persons interested in placing political signs along State roadways should follow the more restrictive of the two regulations.  For questions on applicable State routes, the Montana Department of Transportation district office may be contacted at 406-454-5880.

6. Where can I go for more campaign information?