Thursday August 25th
Training / Community Policing Sergeant Jim Wells
The Community Police Sergeant is responsible for supervising the four officers assigned to Special Projects, which includes the Law Related Education program in the high schools. The Sergeant is also the department Public Information Officer. The responsibilities of the PIO include conducting daily media briefings and coordinating dissemination of information to the media at major events.
As the Training Sergeant, Wells is responsible for maintaining and updating training files for each officer on the department. Sgt. Wells coordinates training sessions and ensures that annual certifications (CPR, firearms, Intoxilyzer, etc.) are maintained. Additional duties include, but are not limited to:
- Implementing community policing programs within the department and the community.
- Provide presentations to the community when requested or as part of a pro-active emphasis for topics such as robbery prevention, shoplifting prevention, school safety presentations, neighborhood watch, etc.
- Works closely with Neighborhood Watch and Neighborhood Council coordinators.
- Works closely with other City of Great Falls staff to address problem areas or concerns.
- Reviews written reports and other written documentation submitted by officers under his supervision.
- Assisting officers with maintaining instructor certifications per Montana POST Council requirements.
- Coordinates and oversees the FTO program.
- Impliment new programs and training that departmental needs dictate.
- Oversees and supervises the Animal Control Officers.
Phone Sgt. Wells at: (406) 455-8522