The department has two civilian employees who are Community Service Officers. They are primarily responsible for investigating motor vehicle collisions and tracking abandoned vehicles in the city limits. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Investigate motor vehicle collisions that occur in the city limits. This includes interviewing witnesses and drivers, reviewing physical evidence at the scene, and issuing citations when appropriate;
- Provides assistance to drivers in obtaining towing service in order to remove disabled vehicles from the roadway;
- Process collision scenes, take photographs, and tag and collect evidence as needed;
- Locates and tags abandoned vehicles and bicycles and arranges for their removal;
- Provides written reports and other documentation when required;
- Provides courtroom testimony on various aspects of collision investigation.