In 1960 the City of Great Falls constructed a primary treatment plant, located at 1600 6th Street Northeast, which included sedimentation, chlorine disinfection and anaerobic digestion for solids processing. The facility was upgraded and expanded in the mid 1970’s to include secondary biological treatment, solids thickening facilities, and a heat treatment system for solids processing. In 2003 the heat treatment system was replaced by anaerobic digesters. In 2008 co-generation equipment was installed, which utilizes the anaerobic digester gas bi-product for the production of plant electricity as well as thermal energy to heat the digester tanks. In 2011 co-generation saved $151,000 in electricity costs.(See Supporting Documents below for Wastewater Treatment Plant Process)
The City has over 256 miles of gravity sewer collection mains, ranging in age from over 100 years old to newly installed. Pipe materials include concrete, vitrified clay, asbestos cement, brick, cast iron, and in more recent years PVC and HDPE. The current system includes roughly 3,300 manholes and 32 lift stations.
Veolia Water North American is currently under contract to operate the Wastewater Treatment Plant and lift stations.
For additional information, contact Mike Jacobson at 727-1325.
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow