Tuesday July 26th
Fire Department Employment
The City of Great Falls Fire Rescue uses the MONTANA FIREFIGHTER TESTING CONSORTIUM exclusively for entry level Firefighter positions. Please follow the link below for detailed testing information and videos of the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT).
Please contact Liz Lee in Human Resources for up-to-date information.
Employment Information (GFFR Specific)
- High School or General Equivalency Diploma
- Valid Montana Driver’s License
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Nationally Registered E.M.T. Basic
- Vision corrected to 20/30
- Pre-employment Medical Exam and Psychological Test (post offer of employment)
- No tobacco use on the job (as a condition of employment)
- Residency Restriction – must live within 30 minutes of Fire Station 1, (determined by the City, as a condition of employment)
- Mechanical Aptitude/Ability preferred
- Associate Degree in Fire Science
- Nationally Registered E.M.T. Paramedic
- Background in Math & Physical Science
- Public Speaking
- Writing Skills
- Problem Solving Skills
- Computer Skills
- People Orientation & Community Involvement
- Maximum exertion during fire combat operations
- Rescue of trapped and injured customers
- Public expectation of professional fire service
- Critical decisions made with no discretionary time
- Shift Work
- Working from ladders at heights exceeding 65 feet
- Working under extreme weather conditions
- Exposure to hazardous materials
- Support the community by being a good citizen on and off duty
- Learn and train for success
- Lead the way and set a positive example
- Think clearly and act decisively
- Survive - take care of you and your team
- Do no harm
- Treat others well and with dignity
- Develop a rapport with other employees throughout the City of Great Falls
- Never abuse your position or authority
- Opportunity for Advancement
- Salary: $3,522/month, increasing to $3,707 after 6 months, 9 month probationary period
- Health Insurance: includes medical, dental & vision benefits, City contributes 90% towards premium amount
- Pension: (based on gross income + $783/month health insurance enhancement – for pension benefits only) – City Contribution 14.36%, Employee Contribution 10.7%, State Contribution amount equal to 32.61% total compensation paid to all FURS members; eligible for benefits after 20 years of service
- Vacation Accrual: 10.6 hours/month
- Sick Leave Accrual: 8.5 hours/month
- Holidays: 10 per year
- Medicare: City and Employee Contribute 1.5% of gross income
- Public Safety Officer’s Benefit: $311,890 death or permanent or total disability in line of duty awarded to officer or beneficiaries
- Workers’ Compensation Death Benefits: 66 2/3% gross wages up to $362/week if on the job injury or occupational disease is cause of death
- 1% compensation remitted to Montana State Firemen’s Association provides for $75,000 member’s life and accidental death & dismemberment, $10,000 dependents
- Strong ethical character
- Desire to serve the public
- Maintains a vigorous level of physical fitness
- Empathetic, compassionate
- Mentally tough, emotional maturity
- Community minded, people oriented
- Nine month probationary period.
- Firefighter - 9 months to 3 years.
- Firefighter 1st Class - 3 years, must pass a Firefighter 1st Class test.
- Engineer - 5 years as Firefighter 1st Class.
- Captain - promotional testing and appointment.
- Battalion Chief - promotional testing and appointment.
- Assistant Fire Chief Operations, Assistant Fire Chief Prevention, Deputy Assistant Chief – promotional testing and appointment.
- Fire Chief - appointed by City Manager.