Frequently Asked Questions

City of Great Falls Montana

When does the City Commission meet?




When does the City Commission meet?
The City Commission meetings are on the first and third Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. Their meeting place is the Commission Chambers located on the second floor of the Civic Center.

A City Commission work session is usually scheduled immediately preceding the regular meeting. The work session usually begins at 5:30 p.m. and these meetings are currently being held in the Commission Chambers. However, once in a while a meeting is moved to either another room or location. Watch the web site and/or local newspaper for any changes in locations.

Who is my Commissioner?
In Great Falls, all the Commissioners are elected at-large. This means that you vote for five, and you have five representing you on the Commission.

How do I find out what political party each Commissioner is affiliated with?
The City Commissioners are elected on a non-partisan basis. This means that they do not have to declare any type of party affiliation to run for office, nor should party affiliation become an issue in the election.

How do I run for Mayor or Commissioner?
Elections for City government are held in the uneven years. To file for Mayor or Commissioner one must meet the minimum voting requirements as well as live within the incorporated boundaries of the city.  See the City Clerk's Election Brochure for additional information.  Interested candidates must file a Declaration for Nomination and Oath of Candidacy Form at the Elections Office in the Cascade County Courthouse Annex located at the corner of 2nd Avenue North and 3rd Street.   

How do I find out what is on the Commission's agenda?
The agendas are posted on the City's website and available to the public on the Friday immediately preceding a Commission meeting.   

How do I get on the Commission agenda?
On each agenda is an item called "Petitions and Communications." This item is designated for anyone in the audience who would like to address the Commission on any matter that is not on the agenda of the meeting and that is within the jurisdiction of the City Commission. Oftentimes citizens bring new ideas for ordinances and resolutions to the Commission during this portion of the meeting. If this occurs, the City Commission may direct the City Manager to work with staff to formalize the idea and prepare it for Commission consideration and possible action.

I want to become involved in my community. How can I become involved in the many boards/commissions who advise the City Commission?
View the current Board and Commission openings.  Board openings occur throughout the year. In order to receive an appointment, the City Commission needs to know you are interested. One of the ways to let them know is to downloand, complete and submit a "Citizen Interest Form" to the City Manager's office. You can apply for one board specifically and all the boards generally. All applications are kept on file for one year unless you ask staff to renew your application.  There are also many volunteer opportunities with the City of Great Falls.

Sometimes I just don't know who to call to get my question answered about a City service and I can't find the number in the phone book. Is there a number I can call to get general information?
The City of Great Falls launched a new automated phone system in July.  Now when a citizen calls the City at 771-1180, they will be greeted with an automated message with menu options helping direct them to the appropriate individual, service or department.

This new system automatically connects all incoming calls to the exact extension desired. However, callers can bypass the automated system at anytime, by direct dialing a department or individual. Click on department phone numbers for a full listing.

Another resource is the "Create Citizen Request" form.

How can I be notified of upcoming meetings?
Subscribe to email subscriptions or notifications.

How do I submit written comments to the City Commission if I can't be at the meeting?
Send the written comments to:  Lisa Kunz, City Clerk, P.O. Box 5021, Great Falls, MT  59403, or deliver to Room 204 in the Civic Center.

Political signage questions:

  • Do I need a Permit to place a political sign?  Political signs do not require a City sign permit. However, signage must be in compliance with City code in all other respects.
  • Are there limits on the size and height?  Political signs may be no larger than sixteen (16) square feet in area and four (4) feet in height.
  • When can I put up signs and when do I have to take them down?  Signs may be placed no earlier than 60 days prior to any election. Signs must be removed within seven (7) days after an election.
  • Where can I place political signs? Signage may be placed on private property with the owners’ permission. The sign must be placed a minimum 12’-0” away from the curb and out of the 45’-0” clear vision triangle at intersections. Signage is not allowed on public property in City boulevards, on boulevard trees, utility poles, street lights or signs, traffic poles and other public property.


Additional signage questions may be directed to Charles Sheets at 406-455-8431.